Sunday, 16 October 2016

cat tries to cook #1: spinach something



I can't cook. Like, barely. I often overcook my instant noodles, am never sure what settings to set as my toaster settings, and once made some very watery cookies. It's something I should probably work on since now that school has started and I have resorted to eating out about 7 days a week. And so the journey to slowly (but hopefully surely?) learn how to cook has begun, and I'm journalling them as cat tries to cook. I've been trying things here and there, attempting to stick to a recipe as much as possible, but I whipped up this quick lunch all by myyyseeeeeelf! (A true miracle, let me say.)

It's not a very complicated dish, nor very flavourful, but it's healthy, kept me full, and had some of my favourite things in it. Also, it took me like 10 minutes, which is always a plus, because one of the things I hate about cooking is spending hours and hours in the kitchen (re: that time I made zucchini pasta and I spent about 1.5 hours cutting them into slices because I didn't have a spiralizer...).

And because I'm really quite sh*tty at coming up with titles and names for things (you don't know how much I struggle every time I write a blog post and stare at the "enter title here" section...), this recipe has no name other than cat tries to cook #1: spinach something.

Ingredients:

  • 1 egg 
  • 2 handfuls of spinach 
  • red onions 
  • a lil bit of olive oil 
  • salt + pepper to taste 
optional: peppers, cherry tomatoes, cayenne peppers to top, or whatever else you'd like! 


Steps:

  • boil the egg to your liking
    (I like mine a little watery on the inside so the yolk can get e v e r y w h e r e) 
  • heat a small pan to medium heat + add the lil bit of olive oil 
  • while waiting for the pan, chop red onions 
  • add spinach to pan. let cook until it's soft. remove. 
  • add everything together into a plate 
  • sprinkle with salt + pepper to your liking 

Maybe I should rename this to "spinach to your liking." 

But in all honesty, that's it! Again, it's not super flavourful or fancy, but hey, it was a meal that I did enjoy. I also have this theory that literally anything with greens and a bit of pepper to top it off with automatically looks better. Which is why I like to add spinach, arugula, spring onions, cilantro... to top everything. Just because it looks a bit fancier. But that's a whole other story. 

Hope you enjoy your spinach something and I'll see you next time! 
Cat 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram